- Full-time Exempt Position, reporting to the President & CEO
- Salary range $46,000 to $50,000 annually, commensurate with background and experience
- Position is based in Redding, CA. Company does not pay relocation expenses
- To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Larry Olmstead, President & CEO, at email@example.com. No calls please
- Application deadline is Nov. 16, 2018
The Mission and Opportunity
2-1-1 NorCal operates in Shasta and Tehama counties and provides free social services information and referrals to residents 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The service is available through call, web (211norcal.org) and text services. Common referrals are for housing; food; utility assistance; counseling and addiction services; free or low-cost legal assistance, and transportation.
2-1-1 NorCal is experiencing growth as a result of increased awareness of the service; new contracts for outreach on specific health and child development issues; planned expansion to neighboring counties (Siskiyou County will come on line in the next few months), and 2-1-1’s utility as an easy-to-remember number for public information during times of disaster. Because 2-1-1 is always “on,” and because its scope can encompass any social services need, possibilities for service and expansion abound.
United Way of Northern California (UWNC) operates 2-1-1 NorCal. The program is a central element of the agency’s mission to fight for the health, education and financial stability of all residents. Through maintenance of the 2-1-1 database, UWNC connects with virtually all social services and emergency response agencies in the region. The continued effectiveness and expansion of 2-1-1 is critical to UWNC’s strategic future.
The 2-1-1 Program Manager will ensure operational excellence of the 2-1-1 social services helpline and its related services. The Program Manager will supervise the contract database manager and oversee 2-1-1 NorCal’s relationship with its outsourced Call Center. Working closely with the UWNC President & CEO, the 2-1-1 Program Manager will help shape strategic direction for the service, looking for new opportunities to expand mission and revenue. The 2-1-1 Manager will ensure effective communications and collaboration with key stakeholders including valued funders; the UWNC Board of Directors and its Community Impact Committee; the 2-1-1 Advisory Committee; state 2-1-1 provider networks; non-profit partners, and emergency response agencies.
Principal Job Responsibilities
- Supervise the 2-1-1 resource database contractor; oversee the collection and maintenance of resources for the 2-1-1 NorCal database and the maintenance and development of 211norcal.org
- Coordinate updates to the 211norcal.org website; provide materials as needed to the web contractor
- Serve as principal contact for the 2-1-1 Call Center and database software vendor
- Serve as principal contact for 2-1-1 funders and program partners
- Coordinate effective communications and project implementation with partner agencies Tehama Together and Siskiyou CSC
- Working with the President & CEO, develop and implement program goals for 2-1-1 with an eye towards innovative initiatives that advance mission and provide revenue opportunities
- Working with the President & CEO and, as needed, the Development Director, locate and apply for grants and contracts
- Ensure all activities mandated by contract are executed and that contracted reporting is completed in a timely fashion
- Ensure drafting and implementation of marketing and communications efforts aimed at spreading awareness and mobilizing public support for 2-1-1
- Staff and support the 2-1-1 Advisory Committee
- Provide reports on usage of the service and other operational data on a regular and ongoing basis
- Represent the CEO and United Way as needed and assigned at community and sector events
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills, Attributes and Competencies Desired
- Passion for community service
- Strong project management skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset; ability, willingness to think “out of the box”
- Thinks strategically; gathers and uses data effectively
- Goal oriented; outcomes driven
- Collaborative; operates effectively in a team
- Personable; builds and maintains relationships
- Ability to engage with and relate positively to diverse audiences
- Good negotiator
- Manages time well; ability to multi-task; tolerance for ambiguity
- Clear thinker and communicator
- Effective presenter
- Poised and resilient
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience, in health and human services, business administration, public administration or related fields.
- Minimum three years experience in the non-profit field, or in government or private-sector work that intersects with social issues.
- Management / supervisory experience preferred.
- Proven track record of working with multiple agencies or entities to accomplish mutual objectives.
- Knowledge of regional social service issues and agencies a plus.
- Bilingual / multilingual a plus.
- Experience with a call service, call center and/or help line a plus.
- Able to work on a keyboard comfortably through an eight-hour shift.
- Able to lift up to 15 pounds.
This position involves occasional travel and occasional work beyond normal business hours.
United Way of Northern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.